Friday, May 27, 2011

Q&A: Possible future influences of the Palatine?

Q: The Palatine hill seemed to remind me in an odd way of the Parque Guell in Barcelona. Although the two sites are aesthetically extremely different, the structure of the park rang a bell for me. In Barcelona the architecture is flashier and more modern and the Palatine is obviously older and has a more natural look, but the overall layout made me wonder if the Parque Guell might have been influenced in some way by the Romans. Both parks are labyrinths to first time frequenters (Gia and I would know a little something about that since we managed to get lost during our visit), with staircases in all different directions flanked by tall greenery so that one can't even see where the staircase leads to until they're already at the top; an adventure that should be enjoyed. From both the Palatine and the Parque Guell these mishaps can lead visitors to find marvelous views of the respective city.

A: Although I was excited about this connection at first, it seems as though there was no real Roman influence on the park. I did find that there are some large doric columns in the park which could count as a Roman influence, but in terms of the Palatine my research did not confirm my theory.

A couple of helpful pictures of the Parc Guell:
http://www.aycinena.com/index2/index3/graphics/guell_parc_barcelona_catalonia_2.jpg
http://www.barcelona30.com/photo_gallery/photo_gallery_49d0a7ff9f4445b67a9bc5cc2badcd07.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment