Tuesday, June 7, 2011

La Basilica di Santa Maria in Aracoeli

After my wondrous visit to the Chiesa del Gesù, Gia asked me if I would also like to go visit the Basilica di Santa Maria in Aracoeli. I think on any other day during the trip I probably would have said no and headed home to relax for a bit instead, but after falling completely in love with the Chiesa del Gesù, I thought why not? Another church? Bring it on.

So we set off to visit Santa Maria in Aracoeli. Little did I know it was actually as close as Gia claimed it was; we only walked a few blocks before we found ourselves at the Campidoglio. I think if I had paid attention earlier in the week I may have known that Santa Maria in Aracoeli is the church on top of all of those stairs at the Campidoglio, but nonetheless it was a fun surprise. Again, on any other day I may not have made it, but due to the rush we had gotten from the Chiesa del Gesù, the 100-something stairs we were about to climb didn´t seem like too much of a problem. We heard the Rocky song playing in our heads as we fought our way up the mountain - perche sempre troppe scale in questo paese? When we reached the top, we paused to recover our breath for a bit, made sure everybody´s shoulders were covered, and then entered the church.

I always find it amazing what strikes me when I first walk into a church. I know the Pope wouldn´t be too happy about this comment, but when I walked in I was instantly reminded of the Great Hall from Harry Potter (because Harry Potter is usually where my mind goes first). The church was filled with numerous crystal chandeliers that gave it a, for lack of a better word, magical look. But the most exciting thing that called my attention was a choir that was rehearsing at the back of the church. There´s something about the acoustics in churches that makes everything sound that much more beautiful, and this choir seriously made the moment for me. I once again felt incredibly spiritual being in the church; this time I actually brought myself to light a candle and say a prayer. I can´t even remember the last time I did that. I thought of my mother and how happy it would make her that I was doing it, so I decided I would light the candle in her honor.

I continued to walk around the church for a while, looking at all the beautiful artwork and enjoying the full, sweet sounds of the choir. Gia found me and let me know that there was another room I needed to see. She brought me into the room containing the statue of the infant that people from all over the world write letters to, saying prayers and asking the infant for help. I cautiously entered the room and saw the shrine with the baby surrounded by baskets filled with letters. All of a sudden I was overcome with emotion. Without turning around and revealing my emotional state, I heard Gia exit and continued to stare in awe at the shrine. I don´t know what exactly got me, but there was something about all of those letters that was hopeful and yet devastating at the same time. I was completely overwhelmed by the moment, feeling as though the story of each and every person that had written one of those letters was present in the room. All of their individual hopes and sorrows filled the space so densely that I felt as though I had to fight my way through all of them in order to get out.

Between the two most beautiful churches in all of Rome, it was certainly an unforgettable day. I never expected the day to turn out to be so spiritual and emotional, and I loved every second of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment